1/4/18

I, Freddy: The Hamster You've Always Wanted

I, Freddy is the first in a series of 5 books in the Golden Hamster Saga. Calling this series a "saga" is a bit of an over-qualification. I've only read the first book, but I can safely say it's not part of what you normally think of as a saga.

As further proof that this is a non-saga series, I offer Wikipedia's one-line summary of the fifth book: Freddy must fight off Crusaders from the past to return to his own time. That's not saga-worthy. It's just weird. And that's fine, if you like that kind of thing. I might like it myself.

This first book is virtually all introduction. You get to know Freddy, Sophie (Freddy's first owner), the 2 Guinea pigs, the cat, and Mr. John. Mr. John becomes Freddy's owner at the end of the book and apparently keeps him from then on.

Mr. John (a human) is a translator. He gets a computer (Mac) on which Freddy, who has already learned to read, can type. Freddy's first message is to Mr. John who doesn't freak out, as about 99% of other humans would in the same situation.

Besides that strange encounter, there's one other that seemed a little over the top to me. The cat, Sir William, won't kill and eat other creatures. Seriously? Show me any other cat - real or imaginary - who wouldn't pose a threat to a hamster.

One other thing troubled me about this book. Freddy, the narrator, mentions Guinea pig pee-pee several times too often. We get the point, that Freddy can't stand the smell, after one or two mentions. That would have been plenty.

I give this series (again, based on just the one book) a mildly positive recommendation to children in grades 4 or 5 or so. It's not the best series out there, but it would be enjoyable for some.