1/7/18

My Last Best Friend: What 4th Grade Is Really All About

Ida is starting 4th grade. Her best friend (from 3rd grade and before) has moved away, so this year she has no best friend to play with or just to be with.

At first Ida takes a "once bitten, twice shy" attitude towards finding another friend. Then she meets the new girl, Stacey, who is pretty much irresistible.

They do eventually become best friends, despite the efforts of the mean girl, Jenna, who rules the roost in the class and elsewhere.

I couldn't help feeling that this book must be at least partly autobiographical on the part of Julie Bowe (pronounced, Boh-vee). In fact, I asked her about this theory via her website. I haven't heard back from her yet.

There isn't much to My Last Best Friend other than the friendship stuff, which is fine. I'd say a 3rd or 4th grade girl could easily be interested in this story and its theme.