10/7/17

Emily Windsnap: A Fish out of Water?

I had no idea going into this book, The Tail of Emily Windsnap, what it was about. I guess "Tail" should have tipped me off. I hadn't read the small print on the cover that says, "Girl next door. Best friend. Mermaid."

If that sounds a little strange, that's because it is.

Actually, the author, Liz Kessler, makes you about as comfortable with the concept as possible, which is a good thing, since this is, after all, a children's book.

It turns out that the title character is the child of a merman and a human mother. I guess this book is for young children who don't ask too many questions...? But it feels like a book for 3rd or 4th graders, so I think they just might wonder how such a union is possible.

Apparently the original book (the only one I read) was popular enough to create more of them. I have no inclination to read any of them though.

For me, there was way too much showing, versus telling, in the story. And there were a lot of rhetorical questions. Paraphrasing from memory...Will she make it? Would she fit through? How was it possible? Why didn't she remember? Who did he think he was?...Ya know what I mean?

I don't highly recommend this series, but I guess it works for some (girls). I can't see boys wanting to read these. If Charlotte's Web is a 10, then Emily Windsnap is a 4.