5/10/17

Captain Awesome Is...Awesome

According to Simon & Schuster, "Stan Kirby tied a beach towel around his neck and became Super Commander Beach Boy when he was six years old."

I figured it was either that or that he had a son with an awesome imagination.

The Captain Awesome books are about a young boy's imagination. Eugene is Captain Awesome. His friend, Charlie, is Nacho Cheese Man. Together they keep Sunnyview safe for humanity.

There are 19 books in this series. I first read book #1, Captain Awesome to the Rescue. It was so awesome that I checked two more out of the library to see if they were just as awesome. They are. So I have also now read Captain Awesome and the New Kid (#3) and Captain Awesome Takes a Dive (#4).

I noticed in book 4 that Kirby purposely ended most of the chapters very abruptly.

For example, the end of chapter 1 goes like this.

"You shall not harm Turbo [the hamster] on this day, Dr. Yuck Spinach! Not if Captain Awesome and I, Nacho Cheese Man, have anything to say about it!" Nacho Cheese Man shouted in his evil-fighting voice as well. Then, the superhero friends leaped into action.

Not only does Kirby vividly express the two superheroes' imaginations, but he also expects the young reader to use his imagination as well.

I highly recommend this series, especially for young boys. I think girls would like them too, especially if Eugene's friend, Sally, turns out to be a superhero too.

An adult can read each book in one sitting, so a child could probably finish one in a week or less, depending on reading ability and time available.