4/30/17

Bunnicula: Much Cuter Than You'd Expect

Well, that was quick.

I just finished reviewing Hatchet 2 days ago, and now here I am writing Bunnicula's review already.

To be fair or honest or whatever, Bunnicula is a very short book. I'm definitely not a fast reader.

Like Hatchet, Bunnicula is a book that I had heard of many years ago (published in 1979) but had never had an interest in reading. I thought this book was going to be much too hokey and cartoonish.

I was wrong.


Bunnicula is written from the perspective of the family dog, Harold. Nice.

Considering he's the title character, it's surprising (and satisfying) that you rarely see Bunnicula (supposedly a vampire bunny). Much more prominent are Harold and the family cat, Chester.

Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery was written by the husband and wife team of Deborah and James Howe. Deborah died of cancer before the book was published.

At the end of the edition pictured above, printed in 1999, James tells the story of himself and his wife - their lives from youth through the creation of Bunnicula. It's worth a quick read.

Older children will appreciate the many and varied references found throughout this book. Younger children (middle school or so) will simply like the story. It's not scary. It's cute. Adults who, like me, haven't read it yet should check it out too. Most of you read faster than me, so you could probably finish it in an afternoon.